Monday, March 14, 2011

Peanut Butter and Oatmeal Cookies #4

My husband has a real sweet tooth when it comes to peanut butter cookies.  Add oatmeal and butterscotch chips and we have a real ordeal on our hands.  He can't stop eating them.  Now I have tried recipe after recipe and the one I am going to share with you is #4 on my list of tried recipes for these cookies.  Also I am glad to say that this is most probably the BEST one yet.

Let me first tell you that I have been experimenting with cake flour for use in making cookies as opposed to all-purpose flour.  The recipe I will share with you is actually made WITH cake flour so I will give you the exact measurements when using it.  Just keep in mind that if you do use all-purpose flour the ratio is 1 cup for each 1 cup 2 tablespoons of cake flour used.  So you use less all-purpose instead of more.  Alrighty.

Peanut Butter and Oatmeal Cookies
3/4 cup softened butter
3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/4 granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla
2 1/4 cups  + 4 1/4 tablespoons cake flour
2 2/3 cups rolled oats
1 10 ounce bag of miniature candy kisses (optional)

Mix butter and peanut butter together in large mixing bowl until smooth. about 30 seconds.
Add the granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking soda and baking powder; beat in until combined.  Be sure to scrap the sides of the mixing bowl from time to time.  Toss in the eggs and vanilla; beat until combined.  Thrown in the flour then the oats and lastly the chocolate kisses if you want to add them.  Beat until thoroughly combined.

Drop the dough onto ungreased cookie sheets about 2 to 3 inches apart.  Flattening them makes for more even baking.  Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes or until they are slightly brown around the edges.
This recipe makes about 72 cookies.  You can store them in an airtight bag for about three days or freeze them for up to 1 month.

Enjoy.

Let me ad a caveat here.  Since I used cake flour I set the temperature of the oven at 350 degrees and bake the cookies for 14 minutes.  This worked out excellently for me.  Try a few variations of your own and see what works best in your oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment